Swedish archaeological excavations were begun at Labraunda in 1948 under the direction of Professor Axel W. Persson, Uppsala University. Labraunda is a sanctuary with well-preserved ruins from the 4th century BC situated in ancient Karia, in south-western Turkey, high up in the Latmos mountains. It is considered one of Karia’s most important sanctuaries, mainly because of the impressive architectural remains and the many Greek inscriptions found. In this paper I am going to focus on the 19th century rediscovery of the site. At that time European travellers had started to explore the inland of western Anatolia. The credit of having been the first to discover and identify the site has repeatedly been given to the French epigraphist Philippe Le Bas, who saw the ruins in 1844. He was apparently himself of the opinion that he was the first to find the site and has thus misled some later commentators. 

In the 18th century little was known about the location of Labraunda. The only available sources were a few brief notes in ancient literature. According to Herodotos Labraunda was a sanctuary of Zeus, which consisted of a large and sacred grove of plane-trees. A battle, at which the Persians defeated the Karians supported by the Milesians and their allies, took place here in 497 BC during the Ionian revolt. The location appears to have been in the mountains not far from the river Marsyas, a tributary to the Maeander:

Presently, when the Persians had come and had crossed the Maeander, they and the Carians joined battle by the river Marsyas; the Carians fought obstinately and long, but at the last they were overcome by odds. Of the Persians there fell as many as two thousand men, and of the Carians ten thousand. Those of them that escaped thence were driven into the precinct of Zeus of Armies at Labraunda, a great and a holy grove of plane-trees. (The Carians are the only people known to us who offer sacrifices to Zeus by this name.) Being driven thither, they took counsel how best to save themselves, whether it were better for them to surrender themselves to the Persians or depart wholly away from Asia. But while they took counsel, the Milesians and their allies came up to their aid; whereupon the Carians put aside their former plans, and prepared to wage a new war over again. They met the Persian attack and suffered a heavier defeat in the battle than the first; many of their whole army fell, but the Milesians were hardest stricken.

(Herod. 5.119-120, transl. A.D. Godley, Loeb Class. Library)

    From Plutarch we learn that the cult statue of Zeus at Labraunda was holding the double axe of the Amazon queen, dedicated by the Mylasan king Arselis. Thus there was evidently a temple at the site, which was not very far from Mylasa:

Why is it that the statue of the Labrandean Zeus in Caria is fashioned holding an axe, but not a sceptre or a thunderbolt?

Because when Heracles had slain Hippolyte, together with her other arms he took her axe and gave it as a present to Omphale. The Lydian kings who succeeded Omphale used to carry it as a part of the sacred regalia, handing it down one to the other until it came to Candaules. He deemed it of little worth and gave it to one of his Companions to carry. But when Gyges revolted and was at war with Candaules, Arselis came from Mylasa with an army as an ally for Gyges and slew both Candaules and his Companion and brought the axe to Caria together with the other spoils. He therefore constructed a statue of Zeus and placed the axe in its hand, and called the god Labrandeus; for the Lydians call the axe labrys.

(Plutarch, The Greek Questions 45, Moralia 301F-302A, transl. F.C. Babbitt, Loeb Class. Library)

    Pliny and Aelian revealed that there was a sacred spring at Labraunda where eels or fish were kept carrying earrings and necklaces of gold. Aelian also mentioned that the distance between Mylasa and Labraunda was 70 stadia, thus ca 13 km.

In several country seats indeed of the Emperor fish eat out of the hand, but—what our old writers have recorded with wonder as occurring in natural pools, not fish-ponds—at Helorus, a fortress of Sicily not far from Syracuse, and likewise in the spring of Jupiter of Labraynda, the eels even wear ear-rings, as do the fishes in Chios near the Shrine of the Old Men, and in the spring Chabura also in Mesopotamia, about which I have spoken.

(Pliny, Naturalis Historia 32.16; transl. W.H.S. Jones, Loeb Class. Library)

Tame fishes which answer to a call and gladly accept food are to be found and are kept in many places, in Epirus for instance, at the town . . . formerly called Stephanepolis, in the temple of Fortune in the cisterns on either side of the ascent; at Helorus too in Sicily which was once a Syracusan fortress; and at the shrine of Zeus of Labranda in a spring of transparent water. And there fish have golden necklaces and earrings also of gold. The shrine of this Zeus is 70 stades distant from the city of Mylasa. A sword is attached to the side of the statue, and the god is worshipped under the name of ‘Zeus of Caria’ and ‘God of War’, for the Carians were the first to think of making a trade of war and to serve as soldiers for pay, to fit arm-straps to their shields, and to fix plumes on their helmets. And they were called ‘Carians’ after Car the son of Creta and Zeus, and Zeus received the title of Labrandeus because he sent down furious (labros) and heavy rainstorms.

(Aelian, On Animals 12.30; transl. A.F. Scholfield, Loeb Class. Library)

For the location of Labraunda the most useful ancient source was, however, Strabo. According to him

Labranda is a village far from the city, being situated on the mountain near the pass that leads over from Alabanda to Mylasa. At Labranda there is an ancient shrine and statue of Zeus Stratius. It is honoured by the people all about and by the Mylasians; and there is a paved road of almost sixty stadia from the shrine to Mylasa, called the Sacred Way, on which their sacred processions are conducted.

(Strabo 14.659; transl. H.L. Jones, Loeb Classical Library)

This article was previously published (in english with footnotes and illustrations) by Pontus Hellström in

Annales Societatis Litterarum Humaniorum Regiae Upsaliensis

Kungl. Humanistiska Vetenskaps-Samfundet i Uppsala. Årsbok 2006, pp 17-45


        Ph. Le Bas 1844 ou 1853 (visit 17 March 1844)

        When the next traveller, the French epigraphist Philippe Le Bas (1794-1860), visited the ruins, the reports by Prokesch von Osten and Fellows had already appeared in print, but not yet the one by Pückler-Muskau. Le Bas had for seven years (1820-1827) been the tutor in Rome of the young Louis Napoléon Bonaparte, the future Napoléon III. During his stay there he had made the acquaintance of Italian and German scholars and had discovered the fascination of ancient inscriptions. When he returned to Paris he presented a thesis on the importance of inscriptions for the study of ancient history. This led to an employment at the École normale and to the task to publish the Greek and Latin inscriptions and other archeological finds collected by the French expedition to the Peloponnese (Mission scientifique de Morée) 1829-1830 ; he was also elected member of the Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres. In due time he was approached by A.-B. Villemain, the Minister of public instruction, who asked Le Bas to launch a new epigraphical expedition to Greece and the islands. The suggestion was received enthusiastically by Le Bas, and plans were immediately drawn up for the journey, which was scheduled to last for one year. The possibility to include some sites on the west coast of Asia Minor was mentioned. As members of the expedition were chosen the young architect Eugène Landron and a former student of Le Bas, Henri Musson. They left France in early January 1843 and returned at the end of 1844 bringing some 5000 copies and squeezes of inscriptions, more than 450 drawings of sculptures and monuments, and a number of inscriptions, sculptures and casts.

In a letter published (without his knowledge) in the May-June 1844 issue of Revue Indépendante Le Bas described the results of his stay at Mylasa and how he had reached and identified Labraunda on 17 March the same year.

Andron A (drawing E. Landron, in Le Bas, 1847-70)

Quelle riche récolte dans cette ville [Mylasa] ! Que de trésors inconnus sont venus enrichir mes calepins ! Pendant huit jours entiers, j’ai écrit, et toujours de l’inédit : jugez de ma joie ! Je dois ce bonheur à un compatriote, M. de Salmon, médecin qui, à la suite d’une vie aventureuse qu’il a promenée dans toutes les contrées de l’Europe, en Égypte et en Asie, s’est fixé et marié dans ce coin de l’Anatolie et veut y faire souche d’honnête homme . . . Près de cent cinquante inscriptions, toutes longues et incomplètes, ce qui est un mérite de plus, car, de fait, que serait l’épigraphiste s’il n’avait à déployer sa sagacité dans les restitutions ? . . .  Le 16 mars, je quittai Mylasa, ayant pressé le citron jusqu’à la dernière goutte. Les voyageurs peuvent se dispenser de passer par là désormais. Je ne leur ai pas laissé le moindre petit épi à glaner. Il s’agissait maintenant de retrouver un temple qui s’était jusque’alors dérobé aux recherches des voyageurs. Et quel temple ! Ni plus ni moins que celui de Jupiter Labrandenus, le protecteur de la Carie, le dieu à la double hache ! on l’avait cru voir dans plusieurs endroits, notamment à Ayakli, mais aucune des positions qu’on lui avait assignées ne répondait aux renseignements fournis par Strabon. Me voilà donc gravissant les montagnes situées au nord de Mylasa, rôdant en tous sens à travers les rochers et les précipices, criant Labranda ! Labranda ! et ne recevant de réponse que des échos. Le soir nous allâmes prendre gîte à Turbet, petit village célèbre par le tombeau d’un saint musulman. Là, le soir, en fumant le tchibouk et en buvant le café sans sucre, j’interrogeai les nombreux visiteurs qui, suivant un usage fort importun, étaient assis, les jambes croisées et la pipe en main, autour du foyer, près duquel j’occupai la place d’honneur, couché sur un matelas qu’habitent, de père en fils, des insectes plus importuns que tous les visiteurs du monde. J’appris d’eux qu’à environ une heure à l’ouest, sur la route de Mylasa à Tralles, on voyait un ancien château, Eski Kalé ou Eski Hissar, distant de Mylasa d’environ trois heures. Ce devait être Labranda, que Strabon place à soixante-huit stades au nord de la ville que je viens de nommer. Jugez de l’impatience avec laquelle j’attendis le lendemain. J’en dormis à peine, et, dès le lever du soleil, au grand déplaisir de Suleïman et de Gaspar, qui n’aiment pas à se mettre en route sans avoir copieusement déjeuné et fait leur kief, nous partîmes sous la conduite d’un guide qui, par des sentiers presque impossibles, nous mena au lieu tant désiré, appelé aujourd’hui Yaïla. J’avais enfin rencontré l’objet de mes fatigantes recherches ; j’étais bien à Labranda. Strabon dit que le temple de Jupiter Stratius, dans ce lieu, était fort ancien. Tout, dans les ruines de celui de Yaïla, annonce une haute antiquité. Il ne ressemble en rien à tous ceux que j’ai vus jusqu’à ce jour. Point de péristyle ; quatre murs en assises régulières, trois fenêtres ouvertes au sud et au nord, une fenêtre à droite et à gauche de la porte de la salle, et au sud et au nord du portique ; au fond du sanctuaire, une grande niche carrée où était sans doute placée la statue en bois du roi des dieux. En avant du portique, parmi les décombres, deux fûts de colonnes ioniques en marbre blanc, qui devaient soutenir l’architrave et le fronton, si toutefois il en a existé un.

   Ce temple était un lieu de pèlerinage pour tous les Cariens du voisinage, et notamment pour les Mylasiens. Encore aujourd’hui, les Grecs établis à Mylasa y viennent chaque année, dans la belle saison, passer quelques jours à se divertir, ce qui, mieux que des inscriptions et des médailles, prouve l’exactitude de mon opinion sur ce lieu. Mais, une preuve plus concluante encore, ce sont les traces nombreuses, et, de distance en distance, très bien conservées, de la voie sacrée qui, au dire de Strabon, conduisait de Mylasa à Labranda. Les dalles et les murs de soutènement subsistent encore dans plusieurs endroits, et la longueur de la route est, à peu de chose près, la même que celle de la voie sacrée qui conduisait d’Athènes à Eleusis. Ma découverte me paraît donc hors de doute, et voilà encore un sujet de joie pour mon ami Ansart.

   Le temps me manque pour vous parler des nombreux édifices dont j’ai observé les ruines...

        Le Bas was not the first to identify the site of Labraunda, as he appears to have believed. But, more important, his work was the first to publish drawings from the site. Those, which were drawn by Eugène Landron, are fairly accurate representations and include a number of measurements of the two best preserved buildings, what was then believed to be the temple, and the tomb in the slope above the sanctuary. They were published in Le Bas’ monumental work Voyage archéologique en Grèce et en Asie Mineure, which was to appear in four parts, of which parts 2 and 3 were planned to contain the Greek inscriptions, the main objective of the expedition, and drawings of reliefs and sculptures. The first instalments of the publication started to appear in 1847. Landron’s drawings from Labraunda (pt 1, Itinéraire, pl. 65 and pt 4. Architécture, pls. Asie Min. II-8 and 9) appeared without any accompanying text, probably in 1853 and 1858, respectively. When Le Bas died in 1860, only part of the work had been published but it was continued by W.H. Waddington until 1870. A second edition in smaller format of parts 1 (Itinéraire), 3 (Monuments figurés) and 4 (Architecture) with all their illustrations, including a number of previously unpublished drawings (mainly of part 3, as it seems), appeared in a single volume 1888, edited and commented by S. Reinach.


W.H. Waddington 1853 (visit 1851 or 1852)

    In 1851 or 1852, W.H. Waddington visited Labraunda and confirmed Le Bas’ identification. It is not obvious whether Waddington here is referring to the letter by Le Bas published in 1844, to an unpublished text or to oral communication. His comments only concern the location, however; there is not a single word about the remains at the site.

Le savant voyageur [Le Bas] a en outre découvert les ruines de Labranda, que Fellows semble avoir vues en passant sur la route d’Alinda à Mylasa. A l’époque de mon voyage je ne connaissais pas les découvertes de M. Ph. Le Bas; mais mes observations faites, Strabon à la main, confirment de point en point celles de mon prédécesseur.

J’appelle l’attention des géographes sur ces deux points, 

1o que la route pavée de Mylasa au temple de Labranda, se voit encore en maints endroits et que sa longueur mesurée de Mylasa aux ruines de Labranda, correspond très bien avec le chiffre de 68 stades, donné par Strabon;

2o Que l’expression éen tï)w (orei ne peut s’appliquer au temple corinthien d’Jakli, où plusieurs  voyageurs ont cru reconnaître l’emplacement de Labranda. Le chemin de Mylasa à Jakli, est assez plat, et ce village n’est pas situé dans la montagne.

        R.M. Smith 1862 (visit 1857)

        A few years later when the British Museum expedition was working at Halikarnassos and elsewhere in Karia, Lieut. R. M. Smith made a 10-day stay at Labraunda, in the summer of 1857, taking photographs and measuring the remains. His report was quoted and commented on by Newton in his History of Discoveries and a plan and a section of the tomb were also included in the book. In this account Newton refers to Leake, Prokesch von Osten, Pückler-Muskau, Fellows, Le Bas and Waddington but Smith does not appear to have been aware of any earlier visitor to Labraunda. Smith’s report contains several measurements from the ‘temple’, which Laumonier believed to be the figures of Le Bas converted from the metric system to English feet and inches. This is most unlikely, however, for several reasons. First, Smith does not refer to Le Bas; second, there is no obvious similarity between Smith’s figures, when converted to the metric system, and those of Landron; third, the plates Architécture, Asie Mineure II 7-8, where Landron’s figures are to be found, were probably not published until 1858, and fourth, the drawings from the tomb do not indicate that Smith was aware of Landron’s more elegant and complete drawings of the Labraunda tomb. Here follows Smith’s account as quoted by Newton.

Accompanied by one of the Turks who had come with me from Budrum, I went to Gargejek, a village in the mountains to the north of Mylasa, in the expectation of finding some one who might know of any ancient remains in that range of mountains. The village, however, was deserted, except by two children, who said that, if we went two hours farther up the mountain to a small village called Kodja Yailih, we should find some people who might be able to tell us what we wanted. We went, and there found the very remains I was looking for.

The position of the ruins discovered by me at Kodja Yailih quite agrees with Strabo’s statement, and with the direction in which Leake expected to find the site of Labranda. In the first place, the distance from Mylasa, although from three and a half to four Turkish hours, cannot be more than eight or nine miles in a direct line, thus corresponding to the sixty-eight stades of Strabo. Again, as to direction, the bearing from Mylasa is 24 ½ º east, or about 13º east, allowing for the variation of the compass. Now, a line drawn from Mylasa in this direction would pass close to Arab Hissar, where (according to Colonel Leake’s opinion) stood Alabanda.

The ruins are very finely situated near the summit of the Kodja Yailih mountains, the ancient Mount Latmus, according to Kiepert. A principal ravine opens from it down to the valley of Mylasa.

The site is covered with ruins of massive Hellenic masonry, some of which appear to have been terrace walls. The most important of these ruins is that of a small distyle temple in antis, consisting of a pronaos and cella, with a square recess at the end. The length of the cella inside the walls is 38′ 3″ by a width of 33′ 6″. The doorway is 12′ 2″ in width. Two lintel stones still stretch across the top. The height of the doorway is about 18′. The flanking walls consist of twelve courses, each about 1 ½ ′ deep. The thickness of this wall is 6′ ½″. Beyond the doorway the side walls of the pronaos extend 16′ 8″. At a height of 12′ from the ground outside, and 2′ 3″ from the floor inside, the walls are pierced at regular intervals by windows 6′ 3″ by 3′ 6″ at the base, tapering slightly upwards. Round these windows is a slight sinking, as if to receive shutters. The view from them is most striking, embracing the plain of Mylasa, Paitschin, Leros, Calymnos, Cos, Budrum, and the mountains all round. Near this building drums of fluted marble columns were lying about. The diameter of one was about 3′. A smaller one measured 2′ 1″.

. . .

Higher up the hill I found a remarkable tomb in an almost perfect state of preservation. It  consisted of a principal inner chamber, containing three plain rough-cut sarcophagi, and a smaller outer chamber, which has served as a vestibule to the other. (See Plate LXXVII.) A doorway leads into the outer chamber, and opposite to it was another doorway connecting the two apartments, the lintels of which were formed by a single stone in the manner shown in the section on E F, in the Plate. The sides and roof of the chamber were one continuous semicircular arch, constructed on the Egyptian principle.

The whole length of the tomb inside was 19′ 8″ by 11′ 2″ width. The side walls were carried up outside, so as to form an upper story, consisting of one room, occupying the entire area of the chambers, and roofed over with immense slabs, laid side by side like beams, and stretching from side to  side. The dimensions of all of these were nearly similar, viz. 16′ 2″ by 2′ 9″ by 1′ 7″. The height of the upper story from the floor is 3′ 11″. Outside the outer doorway the rock is cut level for a foundation.

        G. Cousin 1900 (visit 1889)

        From the remainder of the 19th century only a single visit is recorded. This was the French epigraphist Georges Cousin, whose report of a stop at Labraunda in 1889 was published in 1900. This is a brief and strangely confusing account; and there is no acknowledgement of previous visitors. Having arrived after 2 ½ hours from Karkedjak, Cousin describes the ruins in the following way. He appears to consider Andron A to be a tomb, and thinks he can identify the temple up at the top of the hill, in the fortified castle.

Un mur en grandes pierres allant vers un monument en bel appareil. Il se compose d’une grande chambre rectangulaire précédée d’un vestibule ; on y pénètre par trois portes et les murs sont percés, à droite et à gauche, de trois baies et au fond d’une seule : ce sont autant de fenêtres( ?), et deux autres sont ouvertes symétriquement à droite et à gauche dans les murs du vestibule.

En bas se trouvent des colonnes. A côté de ce tombeau subsistent les restes d’un autre, mais pas de marbres ; rien que la pierre grise mal polie sur laquelle il n’y a point de lettres.

Plus loin un autre monument. On entre d’abord par une porte basse dans une sorte de caveau, au fond duquel se trouvent trois tombeaux vides. Le plafond en voûte est admirable de conservation. Au dessus de la voûte et reposant sur elle, une chambre rectangulaire d’un mètre de haut, couverte par de grandes plaques. Cette chambre est vide.

Nous montons au sommet de la colline. A mi-chemin, un mur bien construit marque peut-être la limite du péribole, qui devait être très étendu. Ce mur est construit en grandes pierres bien taillées ; mais en plusieurs endroits il a été détruit par d’immenses blocs tombés du haut de la montagne. De temps en temps la ligne du mur est interrompue par un petit mur perpendiculaire, un contrefort, reposant sur un rocher à pic et destiné sans doute à soutenir le grand mur contre la poussée des terres. D’ici la vue très belle s’étend sur la plaine de Mylasa et les montagnes qui la ferment. Le terrain du péribole n’est pas uni ; c’est une descente à pic. Enfin l’on arrive aux ruines.

Le temple est situé sur une esplanade à deux étages, taillée dans le roc et entourée de murailles ; on y entre par le mur de l’ouest.

Un rocher qui la domine est accessible jusqu’à son sommet par un escalier ; il servait sans doute au culte des hauts lieux, à moins qu’il ne fût un simple observatoire : la vue en effet est très étendue.

Dans l’amas de pierres qui représente les ruines d’un temple célèbre, nous n’en avons pas vu une seule qui portât des lettres ou fût même par son poli susceptible d’en recevoir. Le peuple carien travaille patiemment des blocs énormes, les creuse, en fait des tombeaux, y sculpte des figures grossières, mais n’y grave que rarement des lettres. Quand il écrit, c’est en caractères très grands, sur une pierre mal polie. Mais la pierre s’effrite peu à peu sous l’influence de la pluie ; le creux des lettres se remplit d’une matière dure qui ne cède pas au couteau, et l’on ne voit plus qu’une vague trace : on distingue qu’il y avait des lettres sans pouvoir les déchiffrer.

        In conclusion, seven travellers reached Labraunda in the 19th century. However, the dates of their actual visits are evidently not as important as the dates when their reports were published and the news reached the scholarly world. As can be seen in my list below, the publication order does not follow exactly the same sequence as the visits. This list also presents a problem, viz. whether the publication date of Le Bas’ visit should be regarded as 1844 (the letter in Revue Indépendante), or 1853 (the probable date of appearance of the first Labraunda drawing by Landron in Voyage archéologique, but without any written comments; the same year Waddington announced that the site had been found by his colleague Le Bas); in 1888 (the date of the second edition of Voyage archéologique, where the 1844 letter was quoted by Reinach) the visit of Le Bas was apparently known since long, perhaps also due to his map of Karia with Labraunda in the correct place. I leave it, however, to the reader to decide whether Le Bas and Pückler-Muskau should change places.

A. Prokesch von Osten 1832 (visit April 1827)

C. Fellows 1841 (visit 20 March 1840)

Ph. Le Bas 1844 or 1853 (visit 17 March 1844)

H. Pückler-Muskau 1848 (visit 18 December 1838)

W.H. Waddington 1853 (visit 1851 or 1852)

R.M. Smith 1862 (visit 1857)

G. Cousin 1900 (visit 1889)

        The general impression that 19-th-century travellers were well-informed about the areas and the sites that they were exploring is confirmed as far as the identification of Labraunda goes. All our seven travellers were no doubt of the opinion that they had found Labraunda as indicated by ancient literary evidence. It is, however, remarkable that not only Pückler-Muskau and Fellows but also Le Bas, Smith and Cousin were ignorant of previous visitors, each of them maintaining that he was the first to discover the elusive sanctuary. They all believed that they, so to speak, had symbolically planted their countries’ flags at the site. The very slight interest in the site in the second half of the century can perhaps be seen as a manifestation of the same ‘discovery syndrome’. Smith’s and Cousin’s visits would perhaps not have taken place had they known about their predecessors and their results.

A new era of research began with Alfred Laumonier, who visited the site in 1932 and returned to spend 8 days in 1933 at Labraunda surveying the ruins and mapping all visible remains. His aim was to start excavations, but for lack of financial resources those plans could not be fulfilled. As a preparation, he made a map of the site that proved to be useful for A.W. Persson and his team, when the Swedish excavations began in 1948.

Finally, it is perhaps worth noting that no archaeological finds were made in the 19th century to confirm that the site was correctly identified. Laumonier was the first to make a find that could be interpreted as evidence for the identity of the site. This was the first Greek inscription found at the site, a fragmentary inscribed statue base dedicated by a priest of Zeus Labraundos. Conclusive evidence for the identification did, however, not appear until 1948, when buildings which carried Greek dedication inscriptions to Zeus Labraundos started to be unearthed in the Swedish excavations, viz. the andron of Maussollos and the Oikoi building. Archaeological and epigraphical evidence then also revealed that the so-called Temple de Jupiter was an andron, a dining hall for sacrificial banquets at Labraunda’s sacred festivals.

            Those five quotations are all that ancient literature tells us about the location and the remains of Labraunda. Strabo’s description would, however, seem precise enough for an early rediscovery of the site. This was, however, not the case. The Society of Dilettanti, which had been created in London in 1734, launched an expedition to the west coast of Turkey in 1764-66. It was Richard Chandler, accompanied by Nicholas Revett and William Pars, who accomplished this task. Chandler in fact believed that he had found the site of Labraunda and the temple of Zeus at a village called Iakli. This was a well-preserved Corinthian temple at about the same distance from Milas as the one given by Strabo and Aelian for Labraunda. But only a few years after the appearance of Chandler’s first volume of Ionian Antiquities in 1769, the French scholar Choiseul-Gouffier showed that a proper reading of Strabo indicated that Chandler’s site in reality must be ancient Euromos. This location for Euromos was also indicated by J.D. Barbié du Bocage in a map published in 1799, as well as in the French 1809 edition of Chandler’s travel report. It is therefore not easy to explain why Labraunda had not already been found in the 18th century. One reason may have been that the forested mountain areas were not only rather inaccessible but also unsafe for travellers, due partly to brigandage. Richard Pococke, an 18th-century explorer who in 1743 crossed the mountain from the north, reported that there were said to be not only bears and boars but also wolves, jackals and tigers in the forests. He must have passed rather close to Labraunda but since he did not mention any ruins, nor any remains of the ancient road, he probably travelled on a road to the east of the site, perhaps passing Türbe, a Muslim pilgrim site.

In 1824, W.M. Leake also suggested the correct position for Labraunda in his report on a journey made in the year 1800. He correctly identified the site of Alabanda as situated at the village Arabhisar and could thus conclude that Labraunda was to be found on the mountain to the north-east of Mylasa; this location was also indicated in his map. Leake was an artillery officer, who had been sent in 1800 to Constantinople with a military contingent to support the Ottoman forces against the French who had occupied Egypt. In disguise a few of the officers, including Leake crossed Anatolia on their way to Egypt. Having rejoined the rest of the group in Cyprus, they were called back since the French had agreed to leave Egypt. Leake, however, took ill with jaundice and had to remain at Alanya. When he had recovered, he travelled along the southern and western coast back to Constantinople. During this trip he made many observations on the modern and ancient geography of the area.

A. Prokesch von Osten 1832 (visit April 1827)

    The first visitor to the site of Labraunda was the Austrian Anton Prokesch. Like Leake he was both a military man and a scholar. Born in Graz in 1795, he had entered a military career in 1813. Transferred from the Austrian army to the navy in 1824, he made extensive journeys in the eastern Mediterranean and soon became one of Austria’s main experts on the Near East. He was appointed chief of staff of the Levantine squadron of the Austrian-Venetian navy in 1827 and was made a baron in 1830 as Anton Prokesch von Osten. One of his several diplomatic missions to the Near East was to act as a peace negotiator in Alexandria in 1833 between the Sultan and Mehmet Ali of Egypt. Later on he served as the Austrian ambassador in Athens (1834 – 1849) and in Constantinople (1855 – 1872).

During a journey in south-western Turkey Prokesch visited Labraunda in April 1827. He described the visit in a report published 1832 in an Austrian scholarly journal. In that article he stated that with Strabo as the source it could hardly be doubted that the site he had discovered was Labraunda. Prokesch was travelling from Milas across the Latmos mountains heading north towards Çine and Aydın. The village Gargeseh mentioned in the description is no doubt Kargıcak, situated half-way between Milas and Labraunda. Just above that village Prokesch found remains of an ancient paved road in several places, which apparently made it easy for him to find the ancient site.

. . .   Von Mylassa ritt ich N. 30 o O. durch die Ebene nach einer groβen Gebirgsschlucht. Ich kam dabey durch einen starken Bach, wo die Reste einer Brücke aus byzantinischer Zeit stehen, nach 45 Minuten aber an einen Brunnen und an die Schlucht selbst. Da sah ich, nach zehn Monaten, meine alten Bekannten, die Turkomanen, wieder. Frey, stolz, von jungem Vieh und einem Haufen von Kindern umgeben, dünkten sie sich beneidenswerth unter ihren Zelten; und warum sollten sie es nicht seyn? – Man sah den Segen des Himmels in Heerde und Haus.

Wieder über ein Bächlein gehend, stieg ich nun das steile Gebirge hinan, so aus Glimmer und Schiefer, in den seltsamsten Brüchen und Riffen, besteht. Es ist als wenn entästetes Gehölz, ganze Wälder über einander gestürzt liegen. Der Glimmer war so reich an Glanz im Strahl der unbewölkten Sonne, daβ der Steig lange Strecken hindurch wie durch Silber und Gold zu führen schien, ein wahrer Zauberpfad; ich habe einen solchen in keinem Lande gesehen.

Schon hoch im Gebirge findet man das kleine Dorf Gargeseh. Dort beginnt Fichtenwald, der über den ganzen Rücken dieses Zweiges des Taurus gebreitet ist. Viermal traf ich auf Spuren einer römischen Straβe, die Stützwände aus schönen Werkstücken hatte. Das erste Mal tief unten, an einem Laufbrunnen aus alten Trümmern; daneben sind auch Reste eines viereckigen Baues; — dann in den Einsenkungen der verschiedenen Stufen der Höhe. Die Straβe ist an 30’ breit; der halsbrecherische Saumweg, den man jetzt benützt, führt ein paar Mal darüber.

Nachdem ich durch dritthalb Stunden fleiβig aufwärts gestiegen war, bemerkte ich zwischen den Fichtenstämmen altes Gemäuer. Ich stieg vom Pferde, hieβ mein Gefolge meiner warten, und ging durch das dichte Gebüsch von Mauer zu Mauer. Da vernahm ich plötzlich den Schrey eines Knaben, und sah hinter demselben eine Heerde von Ziegen und Lämmern auf der Flucht. ”Ein Mann, ganz schwarz, ganz schwarz!” rief das Hirtenkind, und floh einem Turkomanenzelte zu, das ich, um einen Felsen biegend, in dieser Oede ansichtig ward. Daraus traten zwey bewaffnete Männer hervor, besahen mich aus der Ferne eine Weile; und da ich, der unbewaffnet und allein war, für das Klügste hielt, ihnen entgegen zu gehen, so thaten sie deβgleichen, das gespannte Gewehr vor sich hinhaltend. Wie ich in diese Gegend käme? fragten sie mich wild. “Zu Pferde,” antwortete ich, “Wir sehen keine Pferde,” sagten sie. Ich rief meinem Diener, von dem ich aber zu ferne war, als daβ er mich hören konnte, und näherte mich daher, die Turkomanen wie an unsichtbarem Faden hinter mir nachziehend, langsam der Stelle, wo ich die Pferde gelassen hatte. Ich sah sie den Gedanken wiegen, ob sie losdrücken sollten oder nicht, aber ihre Furcht rettete mich, denn sie hielten mich für ein Gespenst. Meine Leute kamen, und die Sache erklärte sich.

Die Ruinen, die mir aus Römerzeit schienen, sind so verwachsen, daβ es schwer wird, daraus klar zu werden. Zur äuβersten Rechten war ein Tempel. Ein Portikus von zwölf Säulen steht noch aufrecht. Diese Säulen sind dünn, sehr angegriffen, ohne Knäufe und Gebälke. Eine groβe Menge von Gesimsetrümmern und Werkstücken liegt gehäuft dazwischen und daneben. In der Verlängerung dieses Säulenganges, der zur Rechten Absturz hat, folgt links eine mächtige Wand aus schön behauenen Blöcken ohne Mörtel, 134 Schritte lang, dann bricht sie rechtwinklig nach innen, und schlieβt sich noch 40 Schritte an eine ihr gleichlaufende Reihe von Gemächern, die nicht weniger als 200 Schritte Länge haben dürfte. Am Ende dieser Mauer, etwas höher, steht ein Thor, dem folgt ein viereckiges Gebäude zu drey Fenstern in der Vorder- und Hinterseite, — die eine Seitenwand ist geschlossen, durch die andere führt ein breites Thor. Im Raume dieser Gebäude steht eine der gröβten Reben, die ich jemals gesehen habe, sie steigt in vielen Windungen zu einem Baume auβerhalb dem Gebäude auf — sie schwingt sich zum Fenster hinaus und hebt sich an der Mauer. — Jenseits dieses Baues ist wieder Abstufung. Die ganze Breite der Ruinen beträgt also nicht viel über 400 Schritte. Auch die Höhe ist geringe. Denn ober dem Gebäude, schon zwischen den Felsen, zieht nur noch eine Wand hin, und steht ein schmales Gemach. Darüber ist kein Raum mehr für Bauten. — War hier Labranda? Daran ist, wenn man Strabo vergleicht (XIV. 659), wohl kaum zu zweifeln. Die Reste weisen auf keine Stadt, sondern vielmehr auf einen Tempel, von Priestern umwohnt. Die römische Kunststraβe endet an dieser Stelle. Viele alte Brunnen und Quellen sind da zu sehen, auch ganz sonderbare Gräber, in die Felsenblöcke, die da wie ungeheure Kuchen herumliegen, gehauen. Diese Kuchen sind nämlich ausgehölt, im Innern laufen Bänke längs den Wänden, die Sargstelle ist bey den einen in den Boden gesenkt, bey den andern nicht, — die Gewölbe sind nieder, und roh; ich sah keine Inschrift.

Von dort braucht man noch ¼ Stunde, um das Gebirge zu ersteigen.  Von Melasso ist man N. 30o S.; die See glänzt im Westen, Schneegebirge im Osten.

Nach ¾ Stunden abwärts, in der Richtung N., erreicht man eine Bergwiese und ein Wachhaus; geht dann über eine Waldebene, und, einem Bache, der aus einem Felsbrunnen entspringt, folgend, über schwindliche Wege wieder abwärts, immer durch Wald, und den Gebirgszug zur Linken, durch drey Stunden, bis man die Ebene erreicht. Kurz vorher stürzt der Bach an 40’ tief durch das Kuchengestein, und füllt das Thal mit seinem Gebrause.

Ist man in die Ebene gekommen, so hat man links auf den Höhen eine Anlage für Bienen und weiter das Dorf Bogkö, nicht ferne davon ein zweytes, Jenideresse, gleichfalls auf die Höhe geflüchtet; zwey mächtige Bäume mit Brunnen und Grab unten am Wege — dann die Reste einer alten Stadt (vielleicht Badessus [corrected to Pedason in Denkwürdigkeiten und Erinnerungen aus dem Orient, 1837, 451] oder Alinda), hunderte von Särgen, wie zu Assos, auf Piedestale gestellt, — Reste von Ummauerung — Reste eines Stadiums, worin noch die Sitze zu sehen sind, viereckig umdämmte Teiche, viele Trümmer, selbst von Wohngebäuden, und auf der höchsten Bergspitze einen Thurm. Von dort bis an den Ort Karpuβli ist noch eine Stunde Weges. Man reitet fortwährend Nord, und kömmt über einen Bach, der aus Westen nach Osten flieβt. Karpuβli liegt am jenseitigen Abhange. Es ist ein elendes Dorf, aber der Hauptort der Gegend, und der Aga desselben lieβ sich Bey schelten. In seinem Hause brachte ich die Nacht in Ruhe und Sicherheit zu, und nahm dort Pferde nach Aidin, im Thale des Mäander.


        It seems likely that the porch with twelve columns (Portikus von zwölf Säulen) and the 134-step-long wall to the left of it, described by Prokesch, can be identified with a colonnaded hall at the south-eastern end of the site  and the large southernmost retaining wall, and that the series of rooms that follow in the description were those just north of the large retaining wall. The gate, which appears next in Prokesch’s description, may be the still preserved large window in the entrance wall of the andron of Maussollos (the banqueting building Andron), and the ruin of the rectangular building with three windows is of course the most obvious of all architectural remains, viz. the building that was previously believed to be the temple of Zeus, which is a banqueting building now called Andron A. The narrow chamber that is mentioned at the end is no doubt the impressive monumental tomb just above the sanctuary.

   H. Pückler-Muskau 1848 (visit 18 December 1838)

    Only six years passed between Prokesch’s report and the appearance of the next visitor. This was the colourful German count Hermann Pückler-Muskau (1785-1871). Born at Muskau in Saxony (Oberlausitz, Sachsen), some 120 kilometres to the south-east of Berlin, he had made himself a name not only as a writer and a landscape gardener, but also as an eccentric dandy and a famous traveller. The Congress of Vienna 1815, where Prussia was given two fifths of Saxony, made him one of the fifteen largest landowners of the country, and in 1822 he received the prince title. He made several visits to England and became a follower of the leading English landscape gardener Humphry Repton. On the occasion of a garden party at Cobham Hall in June 1828 Charles Dickens is believed to have met him, and been inspired by him to the portrait of Count Smorltork in Pickwick Papers. Later, Pückler-Muskau was portrayed in Karl Immermann’s satirical novel Münchhausen, Eine Geschichte in Arabesken; but this was after the long journey that eventually took him to Turkey. This particular journey started in 1835 at Algiers, from where he travelled to Tunis visiting many sites in the inland. A ship then took him to Malta, from where he could continue to Patras in Greece after a fortnight’s quarantine. In the beginning of 1836 he arrived at Athens, where he stayed for three months, making the acquaintance not only of the Austrian ambassador Prokesch von Osten and his wife, but also of King Otto I. He then toured the Aegean and visited several islands including Crete. In the beginning of 1837 he reached Alexandria and was kindly received in Cairo by viceroy Mehmet Ali thanks to a letter of recommendation from Prokesch. The following two years were spent in Egypt, where he travelled along the Nile as far as some 200 km south of Khartoum. The return journey took him first to Alexandria, and by ship to Jaffa, from where he continued travelling by land to Jerusalem and Damaskus. He then stayed for three months at Aleppo. He continued by ship from Antioch to Beirut (a forced detour), and then to Cyprus, Rhodes and Kos, a journey not without certain dangers due to stormy weather. Lucky for him, the twelve valuable horses which he had acquired at Aleppo, were taken over land to Smyrna. Having narrowly escaped shipwreck, he and his companions stayed for a month at Stanchio (Kos) and then continued overland from Bodrum over Milas, Çine and Aydın to Smyrna and Constantinople. In December 1838 he visited Labraunda on his way from Milas to Alinda. His description shows that he was well aware of the fact that the site was Labraunda; to get there he made good use of the well-preserved ancient paved road. After some hours he arrived in dramatic, heavy snowfall at Labraunda.

Der 18. December war ein herrlicher Tag ohne die Spur eines Wölkchens am Himmel, aber so kalt, daβ selbst in der Sonne das über Nacht gefrorne Eis nicht gänzlich aufthauen wollte. Ich benutzte dies schöne Wetter, um mit Courierschnelle, in Gesellschaft Machbuba’s, des Grafen und meines Wirths, nach den drei Stunden entfernten Tempelruinen von Mandalia zu reiten, welche zu den schönsten an der ganzen Küste Kleinasiens gehören und in einer reizenden Gegend, unfern des Flusses Karkadschük, gelegen sind. Chandler erklärte diese Ruinen für die von Labranda, Choiseul Gouffier  und Barbier Dubocage haben aber zu beweisen gesucht, daβ sie dem alten Euromus angehören, was auch ohne Zweifel richtig ist. Das wahre Labranda glaube ich dagegen in einem tiefen Walde und an einem Orte aufgefunden zu haben, den ich noch in keiner Reisebeschreibung erwähnt sah, wovon ich sogleich weitere Meldung machen werde.

Der Tempel von Euromus, ganz aus weiβem Marmor aufgeführt, ist von corinthischer Ordnung, im Styl der maison quarrée zu Nismes, aber bedeutend gröβer. Es stehen noch 15 seiner Säulen aufrecht, wovon 8 auf seiner langen und 4 auf der vordern Seite, die überhaupt nur fünf zählte. Die zwei andern Seiten sind ganz umgeworfen, und was nicht zum Kalkbrennen verbraucht wurde, welchen Weg auch in Griechenland so viele Säulen gegangen, liegt noch an der Erde mit der eingestürzten Decke. Rothblühende Oleandergebüsche sproβten lieblich aus den über einander geworfenen Carniesen, Architraven und Friesen des Gebälks, und Epheu schlang sich üppig um die Säulenschäfte. Auf einigen der letztern befinden sich Inschriften, die jedoch nichts besagen als die Namen einiger Personen, welche Beiträge zum Bau des Tempels gegeben. In geringer Entfernung sieht man die alten Stadtmauern von Euromus mit viereckigen und runden Thürmen von den Bergen ins Thal herabsteigen, theilweise noch gut erhalten, und in einem Felde neben dem Tempel stehen eine lange Reihe Sarkophage, meistens mit Blumenguirlanden und Widderköpfen verziert. Zwei davon haben noch ihre Deckel und sind nur an den Seiten aufgebrochen, in der ewigen Täuschung Schätze darin zu finden. Eine Viertelstunde weiter in der Ebene sahen wir die Trümmer eines andern groβen Tempels, von dem aber nur eine einzige Säule noch steht; alle Felder im Umfang einer halben Stunde umher waren mit Ruinen bedeckt, unter denen sich auch die zweier Cisternen befanden. Viele dieser Ueberreste hat man wiederum zu neuen Bauten benutzt, unter andern zu einem recht malerisch dadurch gewordenen türkischen Brunnen und einer Kirchhofsmauer, dicht neben einem majestätischen Hain uralter immergrüner Eichen von auβerordentlicher Gröβe. Der kurze Rasen unter ihnen glänzte mit einer Frische wie in einem englischen pleasure-ground. Ueberhaupt war die ganze Gegend von der gröβten Ueppigkeit, überall vorzüglicher Ackerboden und die Berge (der Graus) dicht mit Nadelholz bewachsen. Dazu gab es heute auch noch eine festliche Staffage; denn der Bairam hatte begonnen, und wir begegneten vielen Türken mit Blumenbouquets an den Köpfen. Sie tragen nämlich die Blumen nicht wie wir am Kleide, sondern unter den Tarbusch gesteckt, so daβ sie am Gesicht herabhängen, was das Gute haben mag, daβ die Nase ihrem Duft immer nahe bleibt. Ich hatte mit Machbuba den Weg so schnell zurückgelegt, daβ der Graf und Herr Ismerli nicht folgen konnten, und erst ankamen, als wir schon wieder weggeritten, weshalb sie von den Ruinen allerdings nicht viel zu sehen bekamen. Die türkischen Postillone, immer mit einem furchtbaren Kurbatsch bewaffnet, haben in ihrem lesten Benehmen viel Aehnlichkeit mit den französischen, und sprechen auch eben so viel mit ihren Pferden. Folgender Zuruf schien den stärksten Eindruck auf diese zu machen: E...heu Allah! und dann ein langer durchdringender Pfiff zum Schluβ. Bei uns pfeift man um die Pferde zu beruhigen, die Türken aber — welche fast in Allem das Entgegengesetzte dessen thun was bei uns üblich ist — um sie anzutreiben. Die Araber der Wüste, welche weder Peitsche noch Sporen kennen und meist statt des Zaumes ihren feurigen Rennern nur einen Strick durch das Maul ziehen, gewöhnen diese auch blos an Zeichen und Worte, mit denen sie dennoch die Thiere besser regieren als wir mit allen gewaltsamern Hülfsmitteln.

Da der jüdische Diener, den mir Herr d’Avenat von Stanchio mitgegeben, durchaus unbrauchbar war und überdies so abergläubisch, daβ er nie etwas essen wollte was von uns nur angerührt worden, so schickte ich ihn von hier aus zurück und erhielt statt seiner auf meine Bitte vom Viabanda (eine Art Maire) von Mylasso einen Soldaten, um mich auf meine Kosten bis Aidin zu begleiten. Mit diesem hatte ich alle Ursache zufrieden zu seyn.

Wir verließen unter seiner Escorte die Stadt gegen Mittag bei dunklem Himmel, einer stechenden Sonne trotz der Kälte der Luft, und abwechselndem Regen. Nach einer Viertelstunde passirten wir wieder den Fluß Karkadschück, dessen alter Name uns nicht aufbewahrt worden ist, und erreichten bald darauf den Fuß des hohen Bergzugs Sakarkaja, über welchen die Straße nach Karpuslik führt. Hier beginnt ein unermeßlicher einsamer Wald, größtentheils mit hohen Kiefern bestanden, den wir in der Ausdehnung von sieben Stunden heut nicht mehr verließen. Die Gegend ist wildromantisch, mit herrlichen Aussichtspunkten von den Gipfeln und überall von Felsen pittoresker Formen durchzogen. In den ersten Stunden herrschte noch der Marmor und ein in der Sonne glänzender Glimmerschiefer vor, später nahm ein dunkler Sandstein deren Stelle ein, von dem ungeheure Massen in den wunderlichsten Gestalten über einander gethürmt sind, fast immer am Gipfel abgerundet und oft oben stärker wie unten, so daß sie in dieser Bildung riesenhaften Pilzen glichen, als habe die Natur spielend hier auch im Steinreich die Formen der Pflanzenwelt nachahmen wollen.

Da mir hauptsächlich daran gelegen war Labranda aufzufinden, so hatte ich schon am Fuß der Berge die Hauptstraße verlassen und mit meinem Türken zu Fuß einen beschwerlichen Fußsteig eingeschlagen, der an vielen durch Felsen gehauenen Stellen deutlich zeigte, daß er schon im Alterthum als ein Weg für Saumrosse oder Maulthiere benutzt worden sey. Nachdem wir einen hohen Bergrücken erstiegen hatten, wo die Wildheit der Gegend ihren Culminationspunkt erreichte, entdeckte ich, durch die mir gegebenen Notizen des Türken geleitet, zwischen hohen Bäumen in einiger Entfernung zu meiner großen Freude ein langes, wohlerhaltenes Bruchstück des breiten, von ansehnlichen Mauern großer Blöcke gestützten und mit Steinplatten belegten Processionsweges, der (wie bemerkt) nach Strabo 68 Stadien weit von Mylasso zum Jupitertempel führte. Dies gab uns Gewiβheit, daß wir uns in der gewünschten Richtung befänden, und in der That ward es nun nicht mehr schwer von Zeit zu Zeit weitere Ueberreste der Feststraße aufzufinden, so daß wir sogar zuweilen unsern Weg mehrere Minuten lang bequem auf ihr selbst fortsetzen konnten. Der Regen begann jetzt in der höhern Region sich in Schnee umzuwandeln, der so dicht wie in unserem Norden niederfiel und bald eine zollhohe Decke über den Boden gebreitet hatte. Nach langem rastlosen Wandern kamen wir an einen Theil des Waldes, wo die Kiefern mit vielen uralten Bäumen verschiedenartigen Laubholzes gemischt waren. Hier sandte ich, mich einstweilen unter einem Baume niedersetzend, den Türken fort um die übrige Reisegesellschaft wieder aufzusuchen und, mit Ausschluß der Maulthiere die das Gepäck trugen, wo möglich herzubringen, da das Terrain hier offener und der Weg freier wurde.

In einer halben Stunde waren wir auch glücklich Alle wieder vereint, und fanden nun bald die reichlichste Belohnung unserer Mühe, indem wir nach wenigen Minuten, an eine Berglehne voll Felsgruppen gelehnt, so weit wir duch das Schneegestöber sehen konnten, eine fortlaufende Masse von Ruinen vor uns erblickten, mit vielen Säulen, hohen Terrassenmauern, Sarkophagen und einigen bis an das Dach erhaltenen großen Gebäuden. Dergleichen konnte in solcher Ausdehnung, an diesem wilden einsamen Ort auf der Höhe eines unbewohnten Gebürges gelegen, und erst am letzten Bruchstück des nur bis hierher führenden antiken Weges beginnend, durchaus nichts anderes als Labranda seyn. Auch traf Strabo’s Angabe der 68 Stadien mit der von uns zurückgelegten Distanz vollkommen überein, indem 68 Stadien ungefähr drei Stunden betragen und wir, obgleich zu vielen Umwegen genöthigt, doch nur vier Stunden zu Fuß gebraucht hatten.

Da der Tag sich schon zu seinem Ende neigte und uns daher wenig Zeit zur Untersuchung dieses merkwürdigen Ortes übrig blieb, so wäre freilich Sonnenschein und klares Wetter wünschenswerth gewesen, doch was den romantischen Totaleindruck betrifft, so glaube ich, daß wir eher gewannen als verloren. Denn nichts konnte imposanter und origineller zugleich seyn, als das Umherirren in diesen prachtvollen südlichen Trümmern, von tiefem Schnee bedeckt, der fort und fort rastlos auf uns niederfiel, während die überall in ihrer Todeseinsamkeit mit der luxuriösesten Vegetation durchflochtenen Ruinen, sich hinter dem durchsichtigen Schneeschleier immer nur theilweise zeigend, ohne Ende schienen, und in dieser Dämmerung noch viel colossaler hervortraten als es bei klarem Himmel der Fall gewesen wäre. Wenigstens war dies unsere einstimmige Meinung. Das Local des grossen Haupttempels wurde an dem majestätischen Quarré des Unterbaues und einigen cannelirten Säulenschäften von größerem Umfange leicht erkennbar. Ein nahe liegender Palast mit viereckigen Fensteröffnungen diente vielleicht als Wohnung des Oberpriesters. Von zwei anderen kleineren, zierlichen Tempeln stand noch der größte Theil der Säulen. Ein Porticus weiter hin war gleichfalls gut erhalten, aber fast bis oben hinan verschüttet; einen andern Theil der Berglehne nahmen große Cisternen ein, und in noch weiterer Entfernung fanden wir viele Felsengräber. Fortwährend entdeckte man neue interessante Gegenstände, und wäre es Sommerszeit gewesen, so hätte ich gewiß hier bivouakirt, um den Morgen zu erwarten, aber heute war dies unausführbar. Sowohl unser Türke als der Postillon trieben ängstlich zur Eile und schleunigsten Fortsetzung unseres Weges, wenn wir nicht die Nacht im Schnee zubringen wollten, wozu wir, durchnäßt, ermüdet, und trotz der Kälte von der Anstrengung des Kletterns auf den glitschrigen Trümmern durch und durch erhitzt, natürlich wenig Lust hatten.

Es kostete nicht geringe Mühe durch den Wald auf halsbrechendem Terrain über Felsen und Gestrüpp herunter zu kommen, Passagen, die nur hiesige Pferde zu überwinden vermögen, wo selbst manche Landstraßen von der Art sind, daß unsere kühnsten Reiter davor stutzen würden, geschweige das Durchdringen einer solchen menschenleeren Wildnis. So sehr ich selbst an dergleichen gewöhnt bin, blieb es mir doch einigemal fast unbegreiflich, wie bei dem schwachen Schneelicht dieser Nacht die Thiere sich durch die über einander geworfenen Blöcke durcharbeiten oder auf den glatten steilen Felsplatten zu halten vermochten. Nur ein Pferd, und zwar das des vorreitenden Postillons, fiel einmal, doch glücklicherweise ohne Schaden für den gewandten Orientalen. Wir brauchten drei Stunden ehe wir  bei einem Dörfchen, mitten im Walde in einem tiefen Kessel liegend, Turpé gennannt, die Straße wieder erreichten. Dazu schneiete es immer noch ohne Unterlaß, so daß meine arme Abyssinierin, ganz mit einer Eiskruste bedeckt, wie ein Schneemann auf ihrem Pferde saß, ohne doch einen Augenblick Ungeduld zu zeigen. Die elende Hütte, in der wir übernachteten, bot ein anziehendes Genrebild. Die eine Wand des niedrigen schwarzen einzigen Stübchens ward ganz von einem Kamin eingenommen, der bis an die Decke reichte und in dem ein Stück Kiefernstamm von wenigstens anderthalb Fuß Durchmesser emporloderte. Daneben lagen auf einer Bastmatte vom Feuer roth beleuchtet und gewiss halb davon gebraten, der Bauer, dem die Hütte gehörte, und ein jüdischer Krämer mit seinem Waarensack, beide aus kleinen Pfeifenstummeln rauchend. Sie machten indeß respectvoll Platz als wir eintraten, um später im Stall zu übernachten, und nachdem wir uns selbst nothdürftig eingerichtet und unsere Teppiche auf dem schmutzigen Boden ausgebreitet, brachte uns der Wirth mit dem besten Willen, aber wenigem Vermögen, zum Abendessen in Salz gelegte frische Oliven, in Wasser gekochte weiβe Bohnen, pulverisirten Käse und ausgelaufenen Honig mit einigen dünnen unausgebackenen Fladen, die man hier Brod nennt; hierzu als Getränk reines frisches Quellwasser. Milch, Eier, Fleisch u.s.w. hatte er nicht. Der Hunger ließ uns jedoch auch dies frugale Mahl nicht verachten, und froh uns wieder in trockenen Kleidern durchwärmen zu können, tafelten wir in der besten Laune, um so mehr, da Graf Tattenbach Sorge getragen hatte einige Flaschen Mylassoschen  Champagner mitzunehmen, den unsere verwöhnten Gaumen auch dem besten Quellwasser vorzogen.

Da wir von hier nur noch vier Stunden bis Karpuslik hatten, so konnten wir mit aller Bequemlichkeit am andern Morgen ausruhen. Während man unsere Pferde sattelte und die faulen Katerdschis ihre Maulthiere beluden, was immer kein Ende nehmen wollte, erstieg ich mit dem Grafen einen nahe der Hütte gelegenen Hügel, in dessen rundem Sandsteingipfel eine Schichte des schönsten schlohweiβen Marmors wie eingegossen lag. Die Aussicht von hier war äuβerst anmuthig und dieser Platz wie geschaffen für ein Jagdschloβ. Vor uns breitete sich ein weites fruchtbares Thal aus, voll Laubholz, mit einem sich hindurch schlängelnden Bach und einem kleinen See, rund umgeben von hohen schwarz bewaldeten Bergen. Den untern Theil dieser Höhen begränzten lange Streifen schlanker Pinien, deren gewölbte Kronen von hellem Grün blendend gegen das dunklere Nadelholz abstachen. Es war eine Landschaft, die lebhaft an Claude Lorrain’s Bilder erinnerte.

        Pückler’s brief description of the ruins is confusing and not very useful; the large main temple is easy to identify as Andron A. It remains doubtful, however, whether the other ruins can be identified at all; the “palace nearby” (Ein nahe liegender Palast) with rectangular windows, suggested to be the priest’s living quarters, may perhaps be Andron B, of which one window was visible before the excvations; it can also be suggested that Pückler’s two smaller temples with standing columns and the well-preserved but almost completely buried portico are in fact the only other buildings with columns still standing in 1934, viz. the stoa, the columnar structure to the south-east and the well-house.

       C. Fellows 1841 (visit 20 March 1840)

        Another early visitor was Charles Fellows (1799-1860), perhaps the most well-known early explorer of Lykia, who made two excursions to Asia Minor in 1838 and 1840, which took him not only to Lykia but also to Karia. Coming from the north on his way towards Milas (Mellassa) in March 1840, he stopped at the site and observed ‘one fine building’ with windows; he also saw the ancient road and quoted Leake on the possibility that this was Labraunda. According to Laumonier the site of Euromos was believed by Fellows to be Labraunda but the quoted text shows that this is not quite correct.

March 20th.—For nearly two hours this morning we continued our ascent of the wooded mountain-range towards the west-south-west, craggy and highly picturesque, but not very steep. Along the ridge of the mountain the trees became less thick, and allowed us to look down the ravines of hills upon the extended view that opened before us to the westward, over the plains of Mellassa,  bounded by the bold mountains skirting the Cerambic gulph; the sea formed, as it were, a placid lake, and the island of Cos, with the promontories of Halicarnassus and Cnidus, were gray in the distance.

The vegetation during our morning’s ride had changed from the unvaried underwood of the dwarf oak to the heath, cistus and lavender; flowers were sparkling between the bushes, and the blossom already covered the yellow broom. The geological features, as we passed the summit, also changed; the coarse granite seemed gradually to cease, appearing only in rolled blocks, over the shivered slaty rocks which abound so much throughout the whole of Anatolia: thick veins of quartz protruded in ridges, and the blocks of granite were veined with lines of a black quartz. The rocks, as we descended, became more and more schisty, until at every step they crumbled into a silvery dust of mica; the beaten track of the road consisting almost wholly of blocks of quartz, the only durable remnant of the decomposing rocks. This increase and change of soil carried us at once, as we descended, into a spring of flowers. I never saw anemonies so numerous and varied: on the meadow at our feet I can compare them to nothing but a rich Turkey carpet, in which the green grass did not form a prominent colour amidst the crimson, lilac, blue, scarlet, white and yellow flowers. The black iris and a hyacinth were the only additions I made to my collection of plants.

At about twelve miles before we reached Mellassa, and to the north-east of that city, we passed, amidst the woods, some important ruins, of good masonry and of an ornamental character; one fine building, with a door twelve feet wide within a windowed portico, and the square interior or cella having windows on either side, seemed among the most prominent. The portico, formed by the extension of the side walls of the cella, is of the kind known as a portico in antis: two fluted columns lay near it. The whole of the buildings of the place seemed compact, and may probably have been enclosed by a long wall running in front. Three or four tombs, partly cut in the rock, attracted our attention to the place, a few hundred yards before we arrived at the ruins.

In descending the mountain toward Mellassa, we followed and continually crossed and re-crossed an ancient paved road, the large stones differing from those of later days by being wrought and fitted together with the protruding natural rock: the road, in passing ravines, was also built up with solid Greek masonry. This way doubtless continued to the ancient city of Mylasa. Colonel Leake says, that about this spot he thinks it probable may be discovered the remains of Labranda, which name is at present given to the ruins and temple to the north-west; to those he proposes the name of Euromus.

March 23rd, Mellassa (the ancient Mylasa).—We arrived here in a violent storm early in the afternoon of the 20th, and have been detained by the continued rains, which have almost kept us prisoners in our khan, or allowed us but short walks about the town. The rivers in the neighbourhood are much swollen, and the whole country flooded. We have made one excursion to see the temple, on the spot called ancient Labranda, but the rain fell in such torrents, that the few inscriptions we copied with difficulty, while sheltering the paper with our caps, were afterwards almost obliterated, our portfolios and pockets being completely saturated by the rain. I was anxious to visit this temple again, as my observations on my former tour, of the differences in its columns, had been explained to me in so interesting a manner by the interpretation of the inscription upon the tablet of a column, stating that its shaft, base, and capital had been contributed by an individual in honour of his daughter.