Many details show that the tomb was opened several times. It is not known whose tomb this was. On the other hand its plan and architectural organization relates it clearly to the Hekatomnid type of Mausolea and it would not be surprizing if this structure was built by and for a member of this family.

View of the Built Tomb from the south.

    In the steep slope to the north, above the sanctuary, lies the Built Tomb, which is 7.8 meters wide and 9.7 meters long (ca. 13.5 meters, including the forecourt). In the slope some Doric architectural blocks of gneiss, which were found here, have been arranged. They belong to the superstructure of the tomb. The tomb chamber and its ante-room are corbel-vaulted. Above the chamber is a low relieving chamber under the roof. Both the profiles of the architectural blocks and the vault type indicate a date in the second half of the 4th century BC. A huge gneiss block that once closed the entrance to the tomb can be seen in the forecourt. In the ante-room there was one sarcophagus on each side, built of stone slabs. In the tomb chamber there are three large monolithic sarcophagi.

Section of the Built Tomb, by E. Landron, in: Le Bas, 1847–70

Chamber of the Built Tomb,

from the entrance.